Bridging Visa B (BVB – Subclass 020)
WHAT IS IT?
This visa lets you leave and return to the country while your application for a substantive visa is being processed.
This visa does allow you to leave Australia – as long as you return to the country within the specified travel period, you can stay in Australia while you wait for your new substantive visa to be processed.
For a full list of Bridging Visa types, click here.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- You are in Australia
- You already hold a BVA or BVB
- You have applied in Australia for a substantive visa that can be granted be granted to you while you are in Australia
- Other factors
- Length and reason for journey
- Status of your pending file
WHEN TO APPLY?
You should apply for you BVB between 3 months – 2 weeks prior to travel.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Your BVB usually comes into effect as soon as it is granted or when your current substantive visa ends.
Your BVB will end immediately upon any of the following situations:
- You are granted the new substantive visa you applied for
- You are granted another BVB or BVA (in relation to the same substantive visa application you held when you were granted a BVB)
- you are outside Australia when the BVB travel period ends